Saturday, March 22, 2008

Memories of childhood Easter

*Warning to Molly* You may be offended, and I may end up going to hell.

Easter is such a weird holiday. I'm not very religious, but growing up catholic it was quite the experience for the Carrs.

First there was Ash Wednesday. I never understood why they put ashes on your forehead. And later in life, it was always awkward to have the one guy at work with the ashes on, and not everybody knows why.

Lent - I never was able to give up anything for forty days. Unless it was something I didn't like to do in the first place. Then it was easier.

Stations of the Cross - This would actually be a good name for a band. I had to double-check, but we did this on Fridays during lent. I thought it was multiple times. I'm not sure why we did that either. You would think all my time in catholic school, I would remember something. We also couldn't eat meat on Fridays.

Palm Sunday - The Sunday before Easter. We got a palm then put it behind a crucifix. Was this the really long mass? I think it went on for almost two hours.

Holy Thursday - This was always fun when I was an altar boy. The priest washed your feet, in remembrance of the Last Supper.

Good Friday - Always a holiday from school, but it was a solemn day in the Carr house. It was highlighted by walking to the church for Mass. About three miles. Dad wouldn't let us talk, and I also remember one year him getting pissed when we played a Prince tape later in the day.

Easter Sunday - You know for the life of me, I can't remember what we would do for Easter. I guess we searched for eggs, but I only remember that because we would find candy later in the year. I'm positive we went to church, but can't remember that either. Plus, Dad died on Easter, so all of those memories are associated with Easter as well.

I'd like to enjoy Easter more, but I prefer Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

I'm Molly said...

I'm not offended.
I don't think you are going to hell.
I am going to get on my pulpit and preach the word to you!
Or come sit at your pool and drink wine.

Palm Sunday is a way long service. But not as long as the Easter Vigil. That is where I am at now. I have time to go read blogs between my parts. that's how long this one is!

We always went to Aunt Paddy's on Easter afternoon. Remember mom throwing Easter eggs/candy on the roof for you and Tim to go find?

I know Easter is not your favorite holiday. I like Thanksgiving too.

Anonymous said...

In Alaska, the largest, best state in the USA we know Good Friday simply as "Earthquake Day" . . . which is the way it should be.