Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bill's Book Corner


God Save the Fan: How Preening Sportscasters, Athletes Who Speak in the Third Person, and the Occasional Convicted Quarterback Have Taken the Fun Out of Sports (And How We Can Get It Back)
by Will Leitch

(phew)



Those who know me understand that my life is TV and I just do not have the patience enough to read a book. When I do read it's generally non-fiction or sports related.

So Bill's Book corner will be sporadic at best. (or it will never run again)

About 2 years ago, I basically gave up on ESPN.com as my resource for sports after I discovered several blogs. Specifically deadspin.com and thebiglead.com. There are others, but these two really captured a lighter side of sports and entertainment that Page 2 of espn.com lost several years ago. Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy, was a must read for me, but not so much anymore. He got too big and full of himself.

Will Leitch is the editor of Deadspin and is an accomplished writer in is own right. "God Save the Fan" is an extension of Deadspin and it cracked me up in several places. Its light reading and can be used for trips to the "office".

Enjoy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you read a book?

was in on tape or something?